Bison chili is the perfect comfort food.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- Difficulty: Moderate
- 1 lb ground bison
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 16 oz. ccans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Sliced jalapenos
- In a non-stick skillet, saute the ground bison and onion until the meat is browned and the onion is tender.
- Add the pinto beans, tomatoes, water and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, adding more water if chili becomes too thick.
- Add chopped cilantro and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with grated cheese or diced jalapeno peppers.
Recipe courtesy of the National Bison Association
Per serving of meat:
- 156 calories
- 9.1 grams fat
- 30 mg cholesterol
- 60 mg sodium
Per serving of chili:
- 360 calories
- 12.5 grams fat (31% calories from fat)
- 69 mg cholesterol
- 30.9 grams carbohydrate
- 720 mg sodium